View Single Post
Old
06-23-2012, 08:29 PM
artilector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
McPhee during last year's draft:

We may not have done that five years ago, but we did it this time because – again – my philosophy’s always been the same: in the first round you've got to swing for the fences. Get a difference-maker, not just a guy that's going to play, but get a difference-maker and we didn't see that in this draft.

Seems contrary to McPhee's draft philosphy to draft the safe guy in the first round.
Hmm, wow. That certainly explains it. Though it doesn't make sense to me -- the 1st round is the only decently reliable source of quality top-6/4 prospects, so why screw around? Screw around in the other rounds, since its a crapshoot anyway.. Even when quality prospects don't quite set the world on fire, they can still be quite useful, as we've just seen with Eakin.

Plus, Teravainen seemed to have quite high potential as well, offensively perhaps even better than Forsberg..

Also, I'd rather take a chance on a guy with good skating/skills rather than good "canadian genes". It's so rare to catch up on skills AFTER one turns pro, it's easier (though not easy) to learn to be more professional for example.

Like somebody said, (paraphrasing), the road to draft infamy is littered with projected power forwards. I have about 0 expectations for this guy.

So looks like pretty bad pick, IMO, though in total Forsberg still makes the draft excellent for the Caps, I think.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote