Thread: Confirmed with Link: JVR traded to Toronto for Luke Schenn
View Single Post
Old
06-23-2012, 08:29 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Consider this an honest Leafs' Fan's opinion on Schenn.

I was never Luke's 'fan boy', nor did I want us to draft him, but I absolutely loved Luke in his first season.

It wasn't Luke's size, hitting, or shot-blocking that stood out in his rookie season but it was his puck poise that was extremely mature. Schenn would make great outlet passes and rarely, if ever, make a mistake with the puck.

Schenn's troubles have absolutely nothing to do with "systems". It wasn't Ron Wilson's fault. It wasn't Randy Carlyle's fault. It wasn't Phanuef's fault.

In my opinion, Schenn's struggles happened incrementally, year after year. He's taken this idea that his strengths are being big, bruising and tough therefore every year he seems to really increase in muscle mass which has caused him to be incredibly slow.

The guy didn't just forget how to skate - and he was an above average skater in his rookie season - he's just gotten so heavy that he's exasperately slow.

If there's blame to be laid beyond Luke, then it's probably the Leaf's training staff which has seemingly given similiarly bad advise to other players (like Kadri a couple of years ago, who gained 10-15 pounds of upper-body strength and had zero balance as a result).

In conclusion, Schenn can still be like a Brooks Orpik in his prime, if the Flyers can get him to slim down a bit (a lot) and go back to basics.
Interesting....let's see if the Flyers notice that. Putting on too much mass could screw with coordination....but whatever the reason he has been very mediocre since that first season.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote