Thread: Confirmed with Link: Habs select Dalton Thrower - 51st overall
View Single Post
Old
06-23-2012, 09:38 PM
crakced

vCash: 500
I live in Saskatoon and probably went to see 5 or 6 Blades games last year to see Dietz. Each time I would come away impressed with Thrower and quite honestly at the start of the year Thrower was on the top pairing and Dietz on the 2nd pairing and likely in at least 1/2 those games Thrower played better than Dietz (I was there the game Dietz scored 4 goals and just missed a 5th).

Thrower isn't tall at just 6', but he moves well, is a good passer and has a rocket of a shot. Hi weaknesses are his defensive game, but I don't think that is abnormal for an 18 year old. My opinion is that if he was 6'2 he would have been a top 15 pick this year. His offensive game really exploded around December/January and was putting up huge numbers for quite a while.

A note about his defense...near the end of the season the Blades defense was decimated with injuries, and for quite a while they had 3 or 4 regular defensemen playing, with 1 forward playing D and one 15 year old call up. Both Dietz and Thrower were playing 30mins a night for probably around an 8 game stretch. The one game I saw, the Blades we killing a penalty in a tight game with about 10 mins left in the 3rd. Dietz and Thrower played the entire 2 mins of the penalty kill. So while people may bring up concerns about his defensive game, understand that he was still relied on heavily by the Blades this last year.

Great pick in my opinion, I wanted him at 33, I'm estatic that we got him at 51!