Thread: Prospect Info: Last pick, #188 is....Louie Nanne
View Single Post
Old
06-23-2012, 11:52 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 500
From the Strib...

But the final pick overshadowed the others.

After all, it was the name, "Nanne," that caused NHL executive Jim Gregory to exclaim, "Wow!" on the draft stage.

It's also why Nanne asked his father to make sure the Wild didn't select him. Nobody wants to be considered a token pick, and that was the reaction by some on Twitter after Nanne was chosen.

"People are always going to say stuff about me or any other kid my age who's got a dad or a grandfather that played in the pros," said Nanne, who scored 24 points in 20 games last year and is heading to Penticton of the British Columbia Hockey League in the fall. "I guess I've got to show those people that much more. I'm excited and just as equally motivated.

"I've always been the type of kid to never let my name get in the way and always wanted to make a name for myself."

Wild GM Chuck Fletcher said the team didn't choose Nanne because he is Lou's grandkid.

"Every kid we call out we feel has a legitimate chance to play, but sure, Lou Nanne's meant a lot to hockey in Minnesota and certainly in the NHL as well," Fletcher said. "But [Louie], on his own, he's a good hockey player and just a high-character person. He's a kid our people feel has a chance to develop."

That's why Marty thinks it's good his son will head to Penticton before joining the U.

"Get away from Edina and Minnesota, mature, work on his game," he said. "His work ethic is phenomenal. He's a great two-way player. His whole thing is he's always the first forechecker and the first backchecker."

Nanne was one of three eventual college players the Wild selected Saturday (future Boston College center Adam Gilmour was taken in the fourth round).

There's a reason.

"In the later rounds, I think it's advantageous to look at kids going off to college just because you get longer development," Fletcher said. "Junior kids and Europeans, you only get two years [before they have to be signed]. College, it's four, sometimes five.

"We liked some other junior kids, but we'll get them [to development camp] on invites, so we'll end up looking at more players this way."

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote