View Single Post
Old
06-24-2012, 01:44 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I'm glad Stillman bought the team, but this is a little extreme. Firstly, we don't know what the budget is going to be for this season. Secondly, there's a big difference in taking over a team that was just 2 points off the Presidents' Trophy and with a young core expected to be a Cup contender....vs what Checketts took over.

I'm grateful he put great hockey people in charge and grew the team into what it is now. I'm hopeful Stillman takes it the rest of the way. Its too bad Checkett's funding didn't work out better, but no reason to rewrite history to make him into something he wasn't. Its not like he sold off the star players for spare parts and gutted the franchise before selling. As fans, I think we can at least remember him fondly as the guy who turned the ship the right direction. He just exhausted his resources in a bad economy and ran out of time.
I'm not taking anything away from what Checketts did on the hockey side of things. He did tremendous things for this club and despite our financial situation, he left it miles better than Laurie did.

I'm talking strictly on the business side of things. I think he got to caught up in pleasing the fans and took it too an extreme. It worked, but he lost a lot of revenue in the process. He also gave JD a contract which was too much for our financial situation. JD isn't even an essential piece anymore as they don't need someone out selling the team to the public.

I question Checketts' business smarts and decisions, not his decisions on the hockey side of things, which were to let the hockey people do their thing.