View Single Post
Old
06-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Hishon was a great pick and he showed it the year after the draft, leading all CHL forwards in PPG (only Ellis had a higher PPG) and leading the OHL playoff scoring. I can't see how our scouts or our GM can be blamed for what McNabb did to him.
They shouldn't be.

Contrary to what is believed, I feel 2010 was a success because the scouts learned a lot about what does/doesn't work. Hoping defenders have breakout seasons are much less frequent than forwards, what you see with defenders typically will be what you get over a steady period of growth/improvement.

Unless you catch someone before a major period of growth or somehow the lights flick on, they typically have a steady development curve. Coming out of the draft that is.

So perhaps that same logic they decided to use in 2012, picking a whole bunch of forwards poised to breakout (and one rather 'safe' pick) rather than possibly throw a pick or two out on guys like Rutkowski/Silas in the later rounds if they saw the same skill sets.

Silas was a great learning experience I hope, because we blew a 3rd rounder on him the next year in order to pick him and he wasn't even remotely worth it.