View Single Post
Old
06-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Neither. Just like the majority of everyone here. That doesn't mean I can't read scouting reports and form an opinion. Although I'm sure you scouted all these guys and would have picked Pouliot as well, right?

Not at all dude. I was hoping for an elite FWD prospect at 8 but I'm far from an expert and that's the point: I'm not prepared to say because the guys on NHL Network and The Hockey News and TSN projected a guy somewhere a half dozen spots later (and I read and accepted their word for it), and Shero picked him earlier... that Shero made a mistake.

I think Shero and his scouts know more than both us AND 99% of the media guys reporting on this sport. Media rankings are just guesses; they're not objective measurements or rankings of a player. They're subjective. I guess you can argue Central Scouting and ISS are absolute authorities and GMs who deviate are often shown to be wrong in their choices but in that case I'd be interested in seeing the numbers over time (If anyone has them).

What bugs me about the Pouliot complaints is this:

If Maatta had gone 8th and Pouliot 22nd, almost no one would complain because that latter was slated somewhere in the 15-20 range. So we're going to split hairs and get pissed we moved a guy 8 slots forward in a draft that had maybe 2 can't miss F prospects (both gone by pick 8) and which was D heavy? Even though the guy is considered by some to be THE best D prospect in terms of overall skill? I can't see it. I think Shero and the guys have a very specific plan and the plan is home-grow stud D and use trades and FA to fill gaps with experienced F, rather than trying to develop them. Given the premium teams play for even very young and inexperienced offensive D (see also: Alex Goginovskowicz), and the success they've shown with Despres, Morrow and Harrington (in terms of developing rapidly), I'm willing to see where this leads us.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 06-24-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote