Thread: News Article: Ryan hopes to be traded to Flyers
View Single Post
Old
06-24-2012, 10:05 AM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
I agree, I felt that any deal that would have been done for any big player (Nash, Ryan, Weber at a loger shot, etc.) would have required some combination of JvR, B.Schenn and Meszaros as the centrepiece. JvR has gone and that looks like it's locked up Schenn (unless both are getting moved elsewhere which seems unlikely as the move adresses some of our needs really). Couts is too valuable to the team already I think. Personally Read has too much value becuse of his contract and Voracek is RFA which I'd say lowers his value.

I'd still like to see another top mins D in (I don't think Mesz really fills any particular role, I like the guy but think you could bring someone far better for a small increse in cap hit). That maybe leaves Mesz, Simmonds and the aforementioned Read and Voracek as trade bait for players. While I'd love to have had Nash or Ryan I don't think there is really a good deal to be made there now. I'd maybe go something like Mesz + Simmonds + picks / prospects for a top D. Resign Jagr (or use UFA to plug a forward void), play Gustafsson (or another young guy - I prefer him) on the bottom pairing D.
Would be cool with that....I wanted to see Simmonds traded before JVR...he had a great year and that is the best you are going to get out of him. JVR should have been getting his pp time and he might have had 20 goals even without being healthy.

Simmonds is a tough one, doesnt have the skill to be on the top lines, but not good enough defensively for the 3rd line....I would have liked to see him with JVR/Giroux on a top line if they had kept JVR, he could have been the "Knuble/Jones" on that line but with the speed to keep up...but obviously that aint happening now.

Anyway, if we can still upgrade the defense by packaging Mez and something for someone better than Mez so be it.....of course that is just more turnover on a team that needs to stop making changes.