View Single Post
Old
06-24-2012, 12:37 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Let me see if I have this straight.

Last year, the team signs Mark Dekanich, who has no injury history to speak of, and he gets hurt. When he comes back, he gets hurt. When he comes back again, he gets hurt. Somehow, the team was supposed to be clairvoyant enough to know that this would have happened, and therefore all the criticism for Dekanich being injured is warranted.

This year, we're supposed to believe that acquiring Vokoun was a magic answer. The same Tomas Vokoun who had a severe groin tear partway through last season, then tried to come back and injured it again. He'll be 36 when next season starts, and groin injuries for goalies aren't something that just go away...ask Pascal Leclaire how it can start there, but it inevitably leads to knee or hip injuries as well.

So if Vokoun were picked up by Columbus, and got hurt again or simply wasn't able to come back before the start of the season, you'd have been fine with a pat on the back and praise for a good effort to go get him? Somehow I doubt that. Somehow I can see a lot of damnation that would involve why a guy coming off a severe injury would have been looked at as the answer to anything, even in the short term, and even on a part-time basis.
If my choices are between Vokoun and Mason, I'll go with Vokoun, injuries or not.

Just curious, what does Scott Howson having to acquire 3 goalies for his AHL and NHL squads and drafting 2 goalies in one off-season say about the level of attention he's paid to this position in 5 seasons?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote