View Single Post
Old
06-24-2012, 01:46 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The option for Vancouver is keeping both and continuing to win President's trophies and challenge for the Cup as strong contenders behind the current tandem in net. Not exactly a hardship!!.

Toronto needs Luongo more than Vancouver needs to trade him. Toronto is not in the drivers seat here.

Vancouver has put a steep asking price, praying on Leafs desperation for needed success, and fortunately at this stage Burke is not willing to pay the price. For that I'm grateful from a Leaf fans point of view.
Except it's really not that simple at all. Luongo is a great goaltender, and he is paid like one. 5.3M is a fair price for a starting goaltender to be paid in this league. The issue arises however, when you factor in that their younger 1B goaltender is at a crossroads with the team. He is a former 1st round draft pick of the Canucks and has spent 7 seasons developing within the Vancouver Canucks system acheiving great success on both the Manitoba Moose and Vancouver Canucks rosters. Coming off 2 very successful mini-campaigns with the Canucks going a combined 36-12-3 with a .929&.937SV% over those respective seasons, he is also entering his goaltending prime at age 26.

There is no doubt in my mind that Schneider will have some very substantial contract demands, and deservedly so -- he has done everything that has been asking of him by the Canucks and he wants to ensure he gets paid what hes worth. I think it is fair to assume that if Schneider is resigned he will command anywhere from 4M-5.5M annually which will leave the Canucks with ~10M tied up in their goaltenders. Considering the Canucks have another promising goaltender ready for a taste of the big show in Eddie Lack, it simply does not make sense to have so much money (ie. 14% of the cap) tied up in 2 goaltenders.

So let me ask you.. Ask the GM of your successful hockey franchise do you:
1. Sign Schneider for 5M on a long term contract, retain Luongo and tie up 14% of the cap in two goaltenders. (Also how are you going to manage to convince Schneider to sign as a platoon goaltender when I'm positive he wants to be an undisputed starting goaltender at this point in his development)

2. Trade the 26 year old Schneider for a few good pieces and keep your much maligned 33 year old goaltender.

3. Cut your losses and acquire a good piece or two from one of the teams of Luongo's choosing (Toronto --> Franson and/or MacArthur) and move forward with your new young starting goaltender.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote