Thread: Confirmed with Link: Wings sign Damien Brunner (1 year for $925K)
View Single Post
Old
06-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I think if Babcock were that hot about the kids from GR, he'd give them more than 3 minutes of ice time when they do get called up.

You can tell he likes Smith because he gave him some pretty decent minutes right away. He seems to be ok with Nyquist because he was getting 12+ minutes a night most of the time and playing with good players. Otherwise, Babcock has not played the kids when they get called up.

Andersson got 9 or 10 shifts a game - about 6 minutes.
Mursak got the same - about 7 minutes a game.
Tatar never topped 13 minutes in any NHL game he's played, and he's supposed to be a scoring line player.
Emmerton played 74 games for them last season and never saw more than 12:32 in ice time. And he's supposed to be a playmaking, scoring line player.

The vast majority of the time, the kids come up and get 4 minutes of ice time playing with Holmstrom or with each other, and then they get sent back down. To me, Babcock's actions in doling out ice time to these kids speaks volumes - he may not like the guys he's got in the regular lineup, but he doesn't think the prospects all that great either. And they're not.

For the most part, these guys are fringe NHLers. We get all excited about them here but in reality, guys like Andersson, Mursak, Emmerton, Sheahan, they're not difference-makers. Babcock wants difference-makers, and he doesn't care where they come from.

Your newest Red Wing, Naibaf Mortsnnurb.
That pretty much makes the point. The guys who have been mothballed but were given significant roles under Babcock are Filppula, Smith and Nyquist. All indications are that all of these guys will be significant contributors. I honestly don't think Babcock is pushing for Tatar to make the team. I recall a presentation he gave in Novi or something to a chamber of commerce meeting where he got to talking about prospects and he said something to the effect that if the scouting dept was up there talking about prospects they'd go on and on about all these guys but Babs is only really concerned with the guys who can help the team NOW. And that's as it should be, so I've been saying this is a small group of players where Holland should be more willing to give Babcock what he says he needs. Babcock has a track record where Holland should really listen to him and pay attention and give him what he needs.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote