View Single Post
Old
06-24-2012, 05:30 PM
dimi78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafobserver View Post
Gunnar seems like a piece the Leafs could give up and get some value back but I'd be very worried about the consistency lost on the backend. Gardiner/Liles/Phaneuf/Franson are not carrying the mail for all 200ft like Gunnar does. Can Holzer slot in as a replacement? Has Gardiner developed a more well-rounded game?
If they're confident in signing Shultz, I'd be very ready to move Gunnar, but from what I know about Shultz is that he is a bit slight, and will likely (at best) show the same game Gardiner did last year...which had some holes defensively.

St. Louis seems like a logical partner...maybe something around Oshie?
That's the point I'm making and I don't get why Gunnarson is viewed to be anymore consistent as the others. He's made his fair share of mistakes but for some reason we turn a blind eye to them and his flaws as a player showed up big time vs teams like Boston and Philly not to mention his play in front of the net is sup-bar. Nobody seems to have noticed part of the issue of this team getting hemmed in is do to Gunnarson not being strong or play tough enough to knock players off the puck nor does he ever skate the puck out of trouble like Gardiner does to nullify his flaw.

It's perceived around here that Gunnarson was mistake free and not part of the issues defensively cause he very much was not more or less than the others. His strength is being positionally sound the rest of his game is average lets not make him be anything more than he is which is a good sound positional D men nothing less nothing more.