View Single Post
Old
06-24-2012, 06:38 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
What? So he was eligible for U18 WC....but not WJC..
I don't think it's 100% clear if the IIHF would have allowed him to play in last year's U18 tournament but rather conjecture on the source's part (I assume the "guarantee" they mention was from the Swedish federation to Ryan rather than from the IIHF to the Swedish federation). From what I've come to understand, every time an IIHF tournament is held there's a different group of people responsible for clearing eligibility. In the past the US has had players that were cleared to play that would have been deemed ineligible if the same rules applied to Ryan or a guy like Stefan Matteau had been applied. It seems that the IIHF may have been making an effort to tighten up their rules recently.

One thing I'm curious about is whether or now Ryan tried to appeal the decision or not. Matteau recently appealed the decision after being denied a previous appeal that happened before the recent U18's and the second appeal, after the tournament, was accepted. If Ryan did appeal and was declined and decided to try out for the US then I'd guess the matter is settled going forth and he's accepted that he's been deemed ineligible.

Truthfully, what I think the IIHF has to do is clarify their intentions in these matters and re-write their statues and bylaws to more accurately account for the complexities and variables of different cases.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote