View Single Post
Old
06-24-2012, 10:04 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Far more important than losing something like D'Agostini and a 3d or whatever (and I have no problem losing these assets) is the opportunity cost of having all that payroll accounted for an essentially unmovable asset. As nice a job as Armstrong and Hitchcock have done, every GM and head coach in the NHL is capable of making a mistake and has made mistakes in judgment. Being the best means you get it right most of the time, not all of the time. They obviously haven't made such a trade but honestly it's two huge things for me. First and foremost, Bouwmeester is simply the wrong player. I'd honestly rather they get Kuba (who I obviously don't want either) because at least he'd be a bridge at most. What's the hope with Bouwmeester, that in two summers he'd take a huge paycut? So what. He's still the wrong guy! A team like the LA Kings would go through him like butter. Once the guy is the wrong guy, it really doesn't matter what the price is. (see Colaiacovo, Carlo)

But considering that the price is also that the Blues would be completely hamstrung in their ability to manuever in their budget for two full years (that's a long freaking time at such a critical juncture of the franchise's growth), it's just a horrendous idea. Horrendous. It's so bad that I can't believe some Blues fans are talking themselves into it just because the focus is so heavily on finding a defenseman.

Really, giving up spare, minor assets to get Bouwmeester is such a fringe part of the consideration after those two big problems that it's more like icing on top of a bad idea. The Blues have had this need for two offseasons now and they've been very patient looking for the right moment to address the issue. If they have to ride things out a little longer they still have plenty of time. The 2013 trade deadline is many months away.

Even if he cost 3M a year he's the wrong guy. The wrong guy and completely locking up the budget into immobility? Terrible, terrible idea.