View Single Post
06-25-2012, 01:25 AM
LadyStanley's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 67,774
vCash: 500
US Work Visas for hockey

Thumbnails of common (work) visas:
  • O-1 visas are for "extraordinary" athletes (example given: Wayne Gretzky)
  • P-1 visas are for those who don't meet criteria for O-1. "Athletes under contract with the NHL, NBA, MLB, MLS and NFL need only establish that they have a major league contract to qualify for a P-1 visa."
  • H-2B visas are temporary (one year/season duration), nominally for minor league teams. Teams "must obtain a labor certification from the Department of Labor."
  • B-2 visas would be for a traveling group of amateur athlete/group coming to US for competition (for which they receive no compensation except incidental/travel expenses)
(H-1B is the visa type most often in the news as there is a quota that is renewed as the calendar year begins -- this is often for workers hired to come in and do tech jobs, etc. E.g.,

LadyStanley is offline