View Single Post
Old
06-25-2012, 02:31 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
There are several reasons why I think the Rangers should steer clear of Nash:

1) Howson's outrageous demands. Just because you pay a guy like he's a superstar does not make him a superstar. Nash is a very good goalscorer. He's hit 40 twice. 30 or 30 + 6 times. He's more of a 30 + goal scorer than a 40 goal scorer.

2) $7.8 mil for 6 years is way too much. With a potential lockout and lowered salary cap we could soon wind up in cap hell and have to start dumping players. I don't think Nash is an elite player.

3) there are chemistry issues involved. Keeping the core intact means something to the players. We have a couple would be GM's on this sight who can't go a day without working out some new deal. One thing they never take into consideration is that when arranging their blockbuster deals--3 guys here--4 guys to there that in real life you start shredding the confidence of those remaining. They begin to wonder 'Am I next?--What happened to all my friends?--I thought we were building from within.'

A comment that Dave Maloney made about the Barry Beck deal in which the Rangers sent a slew of young talent to the then Colorado Avalance. Beck was young himself and was a real stud though he would be an injury plagued one. Maloney anyway referenced the deal this way--that the Rangers had gone to the SC finals the year before with a very young team. They never got back there. Trading all those young players left too many holes in the lineup that they couldn't fill from within.