Thread: Value of: Tim Thomas to Colorado
View Single Post
Old
06-25-2012, 07:57 AM
GamingGiant

vCash: 500
I think what it comes down to is this.

We want as Avalanche fans to see Varlamov become our young cornerstone franchise goalie. For that to happen he needs to be the starting goalie and needs a strong mentor for a couple more years. Someone with experience that can mentor him and play a few games during the season as a reliable back-up. Giguere was perfect at this last year (as illustrated by his stats in my post on page 1) and with a cap hit of only $1.2 million.

Tim Thomas has the potential to come in to Colorado and take the starting role based on previous play; however, that would be a step backwards for Varlamov's development. Thomas alone will not win us the cup right now, and with the youth of our core that goal is realistically still a few years away from potentially coming to fruition.

That leaves Thomas to come in and be become a back-up and mentor as the only option. I feel that both he and Giguere would be great mentors. Both have a career filled with winning seasons and a Stanley Cup. However, given with how similar they are in terms of what they offer to the back-up role I don't see the $3.9 million difference justifiable.

The Avalanche don't need to take on salary just to make it to the floor this season. We still have to extend: O'Reilly, Mueller, Downie, Olver, McGinn, Johnson, and Wilson. Plus any other free agents that management is targeting to add to the team this season.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote