View Single Post
Old
06-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
People underrate DD because of two reasons.

1. He's pint sized.
2. He wasn't highly regarded as a prospect.

But what these same people have failed to realize is that he was not a highly regarded prospect because he was deemed too small to play his game in the NHL. The fact that he's already proven that his lack of size doesn't hinder his offensive game in the NHL has made both reasons to doubt him no longer applicable. And this should also force people to simply see him for what he is, and that's a very productive, if small, scoring line center.

I think he'll have 70+ next year.
Well if I disregard (though I'm not a DD hater by any means) Desharnais it's because from what I've seen the underlying possession numbers DD had away from Patches and Cole weren't very good, and with Gionta down he had a virtual monopoly on the only two effective wingers on the team leading to some very ugly hockey last season. But I blame Cunneyworth for neutering Plekanec and Eller, not DD.

And Desharnais earned his place on the team, easily. You can't teach hockey sense like that, and while I don't think he was the best player on that line by any means, he did have his moments where his creativity broke open games. But he has certain limitations, as hard as he does battle his movement has improved but he doesn't have the speed most NHLers that size do, and he's not as strong as someone like Gionta or Gerbe either.

If Desharnais has to be sheltered by Cole and Patches then yes, it is problematic. That's not necessarily the case but until proven otherwise, ability to play in all situations is why Plekanec is still the best forward on this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
It's not about Eller vs. Desharnais.

Desharnais is a top two center on this team, while Eller for now at least is a 3rd line two way center kind of like how Staal was used in Pittsburgh. Nothin wrong with that, until he forces the organizations hand otherwise, he should be left in this capacity. He's not ready for a bigger role yet at least. But I wouldn't mind giving Eller PP time on the wing either.
I agree to some extent, and I have no problem starting next season with Plek and DD pencilled in as the top 2 Cs unless Eller and Gally prove otherwise. It makes sense that way. But I'd like to see lines moved around until things click for multiple lines, and I'm sure you agree with me that there's no harm in trying both Eller and Desharnais as wingers in situations to see what happens.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote