View Single Post
Old
06-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Oh, no really? Thanks for that tip. Really came out of nowhere with that one.

Scoring has been long referred to as "scoring points (goals and assists)" as well. If you didn't know what I meant by that, I don't know what to tell you.

Legit 30-goal scorers? Oh right, I forgot Erik Cole scored 30 once In his career back in 2005. He only set a career high in goals this season, but DD had nothing to do with that (despite Cole saying he did).
Cole scored 30 goals in 60 games that year. Then he scored 29 in 71. Then Carolina got reaaaally bad. Then he missed half a season and came back with 26 goals, followed by 35 last year. Where is your confusion coming from? And maybe you don't think MaxPac deserves the moniker, but I don't think I've seen his best yet, and he has already hit 33 after being on pace in '10/11 after recovering from the Chara hit, too.

Quote:
I guess Getzlaf playing with Perry constitutes as a poor linemate. Poor Getzlaf.
Here's the problem with the comparison you're trying to draw here: Getzlaf is actually their best centreman, and Perry is actually their best winger, and both were 1st round draft picks, indicating they have at least had 1st line potential from their draft year onwards.

The next problem, which I tried to point out to you with the goals/points thing, is that puck distribution is the only way DD significantly impacts the game. Due to his size/strength/speed, and regardless of how hard he works, the easiest thing for any opponent to do, of any skill, is limit his space/time, and therefore his ability to accurately distribute the puck in a timely manner. If he was a better scorer, like a Briere or a Roy, or even a faster skater, then it'd be different, and defenses/goalies might hesitate more when the puck is on his stick.

But he's not, and the quicker/harder other teams work to limit his space (if they ever decide that they need to in order to have success against us), the harder it's going to be to get the puck to the guys who score and get him the bulk of his points. You think he's not only going to break through this adjustment, but surpass his totals of last year. All I can say is good luck with your optimism there, 'cause I don't share it.

Quote:
Pacioretty had already played in the NHL - with guys like Koivu, Kovalev, and others to name a few when he stated that Desharnais was the best player he'd ever played with.

He's also said it a few times this season (as well as Cole & Cammalleri praising him).

But if you want to twist my words around to make your point, feel free.
Yeah, well, here's to hoping that Patches isn't transitioned into a scouting job after his playing days are over then, 'cause that's barely different from referring to your wife as the best lover in the world because she's the one who married you; more concerned with the feelings of your spouse and "in-house relations" than being the voice of the greater truth ("Does my ass look fat in these jeans, Max", "No Davey, it looks just fine." )

Quote:
Limiting the line of how good they can be? Cole sure was awesome before being put with DD.

And fine, put DD on a line with Bourque and Gionta. When that line becomes our best scoring line, come back at me with some new material that Desharnais will prove wrong.

I don't see what this kid has to do to prove to some people that he's the real deal and then some.
Oh, I dunno, maybe have more than 3/4 of a year of emerging from obscurity and racking up points on a team that no one was overly concerned about by the All-Star break? That's all I need to start adjusting my perception regarding how/why he has capitalized on his situation. Strawman hypothetical situations (like a DD-Bourque-Gionta prognostication), however, are useless to me.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 06-25-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote