View Single Post
Old
06-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
If you think these guys wait until July 1st to start thinking about their future you're being naive.

These guys start weighing this options the day their season ends. They read the paper and they see the rumors of who's interested. ZP knows we are interested so he's already envisioning the different scenarios.
I think they start mapping out their futures once they enter their contract year, to be honest. At least the big ticket guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I've always thought Nashville plays it fairly aggressive on D. Not a lot of scoring forwards there and rely on the D to chip in offensively a bit more than other clubs. I don't think Suter's being protected in some ultra conservative trapping/defensive style like Martin was in Jersey and maybe Michalek under Tippett.

I also think Weber benefits just as much from Suter. Weber is the guy that will take a few runs at guys, Suter just seems to always be where he's supposed to be. Let's not sell Suter short. He didn't just become good playing with Weber. He was a top 10 pick in one of the great drafts ever in 2003 and was fantastic without Weber in the Olympics.
True about the last paragraph, but Nashville's forwards are hugely responsible for their great defensive record. They backcheck as well as any team in the league. They work as hard as any forward group in the NHL. Their centers (Legwand, Fisher, Spaling) often play like a third defensemen.

All of this means that BOTH Suter and Weber are in similar situations as Martin and Michalek...in that they are coming from insulated defensive systems. It's hard to argue against that.

Both SHOULD be fine wherever they wind up, but I feel more confident that Weber's game will translate better than Suter's. Not a knock against Suter. It's more a skill-set thing.