View Single Post
Old
06-25-2012, 11:23 AM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
You are hoping that Burke has no other options otherwise the Luongo market becomes a market where Dale Tallon can trade whatever the hell he wants for Luongo. There are definitely other options that Burke can pursue, Reimer/Scrivens being one of them. He can always make a trade mid season for a goalie or the other option of an OS to Schneider. I believe Frank Drebin made an interesting post earlier of an offer of 5.3 x 4 to Schneider. Would it be an overpayment? Yes, but it still sounds a lot better than 5.3 x 10.

Toronto is not in win now mode either, they can afford to be patient, no sane Leafs fan should expect them to be relevant next year. This whole idea that Burke has no other choice but Luongo is a fabrication, there are no credible reports that Burke's job is in jeopardy if the Leafs fail to make it again this year.

I have said from day 1 that I didn't see a deal here that made sense from either team's perspective as well as Luongo's. Toronto is a young team that does not need a 33 year old goalie, by the time they start to become competitive Luongo will be thinking of retirement. Vancouver needs to improve their roster now, acquiring a bunch of futures that will begin to contribute in a few years time does not help. From Luongo's perspective I think his least favourite part of playing in Vancouver would probably be the pressure from media and fans after every exit, no doubt he would prefer Florida.

Are there even any starting goalies whose contracts are up this year? I think Price is a RFA (?). Then there is Pavelec who will likely get a big offer from the KHL, hardly any premiere names this year.

I'm not hoping anything. I 've said all along that he has zero other options and so far I've been right despite those who floated Vokoun, Lindback, Thomas, Harding, Bernier and status quo as legitimate options.
An offer sheet to Schneider is another pipe dream. The only player in recent memory acquired through offer sheet was Penner. Offer sheets just don't work.