Thread: Confirmed with Link: Wings sign Damien Brunner (1 year for $925K)
View Single Post
Old
06-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Frk It
#TwentyFour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanMasher View Post
I figured Franzen would be the first one brought up. He's the exception, but really even he isn't. I'm saying, what do we see in some 4th line jobbers that makes us think some transformation will happen and they'll develop this Sakic wrister? I guarantee Mule could score before and just needed something to click. He showed the signs. He had the talent if you knew what to look for. Notice the signs. Most can't and that's why it comes off to the masses as "random".

If you think Sheahan is going to turn into some notable goal scorer you're crazy. Players are what they are by the time they get here. It's not about linear development, it's about a player being what he is. Like Darren Helm will have the wrist shot fairy show up at his house this offseason or something.
Franzen was a big body with a shot, but he was projected to be a checking line player in the NHL. We didn't know what we had with him until he got in the right situation for him. That's the whole point, you can't predict how people will develop, and that is where we will disagree.

"The funny aspect of the Franzen story is that the Red Wings have so much talent that they may not have known how much Franzen had developed had Tomas Holmstrom not been injured last season. With Holmstrom out, his role expanded and he started scoring goals as if he were Gordie Howe.

The other day, Franzen joked that he might still be a checker had Holmstrom not gone on the injury list."

So for any us to say we know what Riley Sheahan will be in 5 years is completely ignorant and impossible to predict. He played 3 years in a completely defensive system. He is a big body and scouting reports say he has a good shot. Sound familiar? I am not saying I think he will be anything, because I have no idea, and neither do you. He could turn into Jordan Staal or Franzen, or he could be a career AHL'er. No one knows.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote