Thread: Prospect Info: Round IV, Pick #119: Calle Andersson
View Single Post
Old
06-25-2012, 01:13 PM
bogans

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Interesting that we got a kid from Färjestad.

In Sweden where we have a shortage of "natrual talents", its not stretch that developing hockey players is about "know-how". Everyone work really hard to develop training and new approches, and hence its very common that many of our best kids for long periods come from the same places. MoDo and Örnsköldsvik (Forsberg, Näslund, Sundström, Sedins and so forth) were a head of the rest for a while, Skellefteå has now for a couple of years done really well (Adam Larson, David Rundblad, Tim Erixon). Brynäs too (Marklund, Järnkrok and Silverberg).

Färjestad is traditionally a very good hockey market and team, that always has a great atmosphere in their lockerroom and a winning tradition on the ice. A no-nonsense team. But for a long time they've really struggled to develop NHLers. Håkan Loob came from Färjestad, but besides him remarkably few of the Swedish NHLers come from Färjestad (I can think of Jonas Höglund and Kristian Huselius as the only mainstays the last 20 years).

But lately they have started to develop some really interesting players. Daniel Brodin isn't that known yet, but he is really really good looking and Minny definitely got a steal in him and I will have almost the same impact in the NHL as Erik Karlsson have had (he isn't quite as awsome on the PP, but just as poised with the puck coming out of his own end and better defensively). Markus Johansson in Washington is another kid from Färjestad in the NHL who made it recently.

Hopefully Calle Johansson can follow in these guys fotsteps and have a impact.
I think I recall a guy named Lundqvist coming from Farjestad, right?

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote