View Single Post
Old
06-25-2012, 12:38 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
This is what annoys me. Why was Laughton a 2nd round pick to you? Because the general scouting services had him listed as such? There's no guarantee Laughton would've still been around at #45, and given his performance at the World Juniors and then once he started getting top-6 minutes for Oshawa, something tells me the Flyers felt he was just starting to scratch the surface of his potential and would be selected before their second pick. If you like a player and he's at the top of your board, you take him, overall pick or perceived "value" be damned. I think the Flyers' scouting staff has earned the benefit of the doubt here.
No, I'm equating the term perfect third-line centre to where in the draft I believe such a player should arguably be chosen. The players I want to see picked in the 1st round have 1st/2nd line -- 1st/2nd pairing potential. I don't know Laughton's game; I've only read the scouting reports posted here. I didn't even know where he was listed by the scouting services, so that didn't factor into my post. The point I was trying to make is that if the Flyers admin are choosing a forward (point of strength) instead of a defenseman (significant point of weakness), the forward should be someone special.

If Laughton has Mike Richards written all over him, I'll read my own post with pleasure and self-deprecation in a few years when someone bumps this thread. If he becomes a strong 2-way forward who anchors the third line and complements the skilled forwards who are already on the team, I'll be satisfied, no more no less. Otherwise, I'll think the team's 1st round pick could have been much better spent.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote