Old
06-25-2012, 02:30 PM
scott99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
ESPN has their draft review up...

New York Islanders: A-

GM Garth Snow made a smart move in adding veteran defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky in a draft-day trade with the Ducks. He comes with a healthy cap hit, but that's not a problem for an Islanders team that will likely struggle to get to the floor, assuming there is one in the new CBA. It may be too much to ask for Visnovsky to repeat his 68-point season from 2010-11, but he should be good for at least 40 points if he stays healthy. Along with adding Visnovsky, all they did was draft defense, selecting seven defensemen overall to help boost an organization that finished 27th overall in goals-against last season.

Sonier's prime picks: While other defensemen selected in this year's draft may have an impact sooner, in the long term defenseman Griffin Reinhart (No. 4 overall) could develop into the best all-around defenseman in this year's draft. Son of former NHL great Paul Reinhart, his elite size combined with his skating and puck-moving ability proved to be too much for the Islanders to pass on. Adam Pelech (No. 65 overall) is one of the smartest defensive defensemen in the OHL. The reason he slid to the third round is because of his average skating ability. Jesse Graham in the sixth round is a nice pick. He's a smooth-skating offensive defenseman who produced offensively despite being behind Boston Bruins D prospect Dougie Hamilton.
Once again, they are basing the A- grade, on the inclusion of Visnovsky. Visnovsky has NOTHING to do with a draft grade. Typically total garbage from ESPN, who knows less about hockey than Charles Wang. Anyone who has any in depth knowledge of the players available in the draft, and the players left on the board by the Islanders, does not give our draft an A-. I love the Reinhart pick, the Pelech pick, and to a certain degree, I like the Pokka pick (though better and higher rated D-men were available, Finn and Thrower). Anything after Pokka was a mixed bag. I've seen Graham rated anywhere from 65 (ISS) to 180. I won't even mention picks 4 and 5, I've attacked those picks ad nauseum.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote