View Single Post
Old
06-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Yeah, Cole can score. But he's done it playing with Eric Staal. And the year he did score 30, I'm pretty sure he was playing with Ray Whitney who just got a 35-goal season out of Radim Vrbata. Cole is obviously a great player, but to think he does it all by himself is a bit crazy, IMO. He does do a lot by himself though and he's a great asset.

No where did I say Pacioretty isn't or can't be a consistent 30-goal scorer. I've been on the Pacioretty bandwagon since draft day.
Carolina usually played power versus power with Staal and Cole as their top two-way players sheltering lesser talents like Jokinen, Skinner, Ruutu etc on an all offence 2nd line. Having Staal as a linemate isn't that big of an advantage when you play against oppositon's best lines, especially with the lack-luster defensemen behind them Carolina usually fields.

With Desharnais Cole got to play in a pure offensive exploitation role. His offensive numbers going up was a predictable result of a very good two-way player getting fed easier minutes with good linemates.

Getzlaf and Perry who were brought up early in this thread are great examples of this process. Eariler in their career their team would feed the hard matchups to other lines and used them in primarily offensive roles and their numbers were really impressive. Lately due to depth issues Anahiem has been forced to play them against best opposition lines and their production has dipped.

Thinking just in points and not tracking context is how people start thinking Ville Leino is a good player.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote