Thread: Value of: Tim Connolly to Chicago
View Single Post
Old
06-25-2012, 09:58 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
With Connolly everybody just looks at the salary and gets upset. Even last season many fans were upset with and everything always came back to his salary. But he only cost us cap space that we weren't using anywhere and can't be carried forward to the following year.

I challenge people to find tell me where else they'd have used the cap space that Connolly and even Lombardi took up last year with having to give up assets and in the case of Lombardi actually gaining a useful asset in Franson?

The Leafs still had lots of cap space to make deals by the deadline. Acquiring UFAs also normally requires overpaying UFAs especially if your not a very good team so I don't understand why Burke gets so much crap for doing the same thing that Buffalo did with Leino, Edmonton did with Hemsky, the Blue Jackets did with Wiz. If anything Burke is smarter than some of his GM counterparts cause he only signed Connolly to a very short term.

It's great to say just get rid of Connolly but if any team needs him this season it's the Leafs.
Precisely... it's not like there's an abundance of centres available this year anyways. Infact, I think you could make the case that Connolly is better than any UFA centre there is this year. At the very least, he's more offensively gifted than anyone in that group.

Even if the Leafs ditched Connolly and his $4.75m, where the ******* would we spend it? Parise and Suter wouldn't sign here regardless of how much cap space we have, and there's really not a ton of other team needs.

Yeah, the team needs a #1 goaltender, but they've also got over $12m in space with about $6m in RFAs to sign. The new CBA realistically won't cause the cap to decrease more than $3-4m without an accompanying salary rollback, and if they can find a goalie, they can easily make the space by moving Lombardi who holds much less value to the Leafs than Connolly.

They've only gotta worry about Connolly from a cap standpoint if they've got a deal to bring in a high dollar centre to replace him.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote