View Single Post
Old
06-25-2012, 11:51 PM
TheLegendkiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I see where you are coming from with this and I kind of agree. I'm not excited about the pick, I don't really hate it either though. Building up a point of strength isn't something to scoff at.

If this kid can turn into a solid defensive center who can chip in on offense and anchor our third line, we can go Giroux-Couturier-Laughton down the middle. That frees up a forward asset that can be used down the road, think of the possibilities.

Instead of drafting a developing a d-man (which usually takes years to do properly and the Flyers have no history of doing) they can use their position of strength (forward depth) to trade for one who is ready now. Or looking ahead a year they could let Hartnell walk and use his money while maintaining their depth.

It also helps make our lineup a little more fluid. I like Schenn but there were times last year when his line would get pinned in their own zone for long stretches (that might just be part of being linemates with Briere and Simmonds). Having Couturier and another defensively responsible center anchor our 2nd and 3rd lines while shifting Schenn and Briere to the wings might go a long way in improving our overall team defense.

Having some size and defense down the middle was a need last year. Maybe not to the extent of fixing the defense but definitely glaring. In fact I think our defensmen (and obviously Bryz although I think he deserves most of the criticism he gets for last year) take more than their share of blame for an overall lack of team defense by our forwards so he might help the defense look better too.

He's probably not going to be ready next year like Couturier but he'll probably be ready to contribute sooner than a d-man and I trust the Flyers drafting first round forwards. It's a safe pick and if he can turn into a solid 2 way center then I'll be fine with it.
This. All this.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote