View Single Post
Old
06-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I think a few of us are just tired of re-explaining the same old thing to the same usual mouth-breathers. If it isn't in the G/A/TP columns, most just stop reading there anyway . Kid played with scrubs almost the entire year and still managed to pull 16 goals out of his ass.

It's funny, the first year people were on him about passing too much. He decides to start shooting more instead of bouncing pucks off blunden or bourque or whoever and now has no vision or passing ability . Not to mention that he got very little PP time, but still holds the 2nd most P/60 (behind desharnais) and 2nd most g/60 (behind cole) at 5 v 4. It's a small sample, but it was infuriating how Gomez kept getting shoved in there, getting almost 4x as much PP time as Eller despite showing less hustle, tenacity and production. Imagine he had Gomez' PP time, is there anyone here who would really argue that him getting 20 goals or another 10 points would have been improbable?
Can't speak for others, but my concern with Eller has nothing to do with points and everything to do with puck-handling and confidence. His single four-goal game notwithstanding, he's not a natural scorer over an entire season. His body moves very well, but that doesn't usually translate to his stick, or the puck on it. So he's not a sniper -- fine -- but even his playmaking is erratic. Watch the guy and you notice a flurry of great moves that often falls apart before completing a pass or a shot. While he's doodling around with the puck, his vision of who's around him is limited. Whether he ends up passing or shooting the puck, he has to be a little smarter and quicker with it. Learn to either slow down the play with more accuracy, or speed it up with more control. Yes, there were signs of that last year. He used his strength more, battled for the puck more and didn't cough it up as much. And the good news is that so much of his limitations seem to be mental, which can be worked on and further improved. So maybe I'm more "Cautious" than "Concerned". But still, at a certain point all that potential must pay off, and in my opinion, that certain point for Eller is next season.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote