View Single Post
Old
06-26-2012, 01:44 PM
oldfart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm a pretty mediocre skater. Balance is fine, edges are decent, I'm quick enough when I need to be but it's by no means effortless.

The last couple weeks, I've been reading and thinking about the hips, being more conscious of their position and hinging in all aspects of life (literally, like walking, sitting, jumping).

During last night's game, I thought about the hips in hockey and how mine are kind of right underneath me. I took some shifts where I consciously brought my hips back behind me, and I got a lot lower to the ground, although it was kind of awkward. Felt less control, but then again, I've been skating one way for my whole life.

Is "proper technique" skating with the hips back, or the hips under? I need to go home and review my Stamm book but thought I'd ask here. Seems like they should be back.

a quick review of the many vids online for power skating will show a defined lean angle to the upper body during forward strides. Getting to that angle requires the hips to go to a certain point to balance the upper torso. The hips are where the driving muscles are anchored.
Hip position is determined by, and determine the drive stroke and the COG created by the lean of the upper torso.
You can look at Track Sprinter angles to this obvious angle.
An important note is to see the very straight line/angle that the back makes with the leg line during a power stroke. Much change either way affects the stroke power. A lot of this depends on the leg to torso relationship - and most great skaters are found between 45 and 55 degress...
For many of us the tendency is to drop the shoulders even more than that angle, making a flatter back. This robs power.
"Presenting" the jersey crest is a way to counter this forward collapse.
The gliding leg actually has a great effect on power. Too far forward and it robs the power stroke. Too far back and you can't get the proper angle and leg extension.
Short legged (relative to torso) skaters tend to be more upright because of torso mass and length. Long Legged skaters have an easier time getting the torso in line for power strokes, but have a tendency to have the glide leg a bit forward, which reduces the power stroke...
stick handling adds another dimension, not incongruous, but needs adaptation...

real quick
from Victor Baryshevtsev
and from Laura Stamm video, also showing glide leg angle

Last edited by oldfart: 06-26-2012 at 01:58 PM.
oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote