View Single Post
Old
06-26-2012, 02:56 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
That's a good response. It would be hard not to acknowledge that the team needs to address the organizational goaltending depth. And at exactly the same time, when you look at how the draft turned out, the players who were available to us at #33, 51, 64... it's pretty hard to argue against what we did instead.

I don't think it's necessarily hard to find a bunch of generic goaltending prospects, guys who may or may not pan out, like we did in the past with Mayer and Delmas, like we could do at present with Marcoux, Lagace, or Dell. And if that's all you're aiming for, might as well get them for free instead of using up later draft picks. (Assuming you don't have a "hidden gem" goalie you see available in the later rounds).

But what we might lack atm is also a "top prospect" type of goalie. Subban, Vasilievski, and Dansk all went before our 2nd round pick, and then it was a shock to see Collberg available as well, so getting the top prospect type was just not in the cards for this year. We've got more picks again next year too. And presumably won't be picking #3 in the first round either.
I was all for them drafting a goalie this year but with better options on the table I have no problem passing as I'd really like to see us go the college FA route. I see a lot of NCAA hockey and I know that there are several FA's that weren't Seniors this year, that were impressive so depending on if any turn pro this summer or not (the later it gets the less likely NCAA kids will turn pro since it puts their current team in a bad spot as it could be hard to replace them on short notice)

So if we draft a highly rated goalie next year great, but I still hope either way we look to the FA market next summer as I assume a number of the NCAA kids that didn't turn pro this summer will turn pro next summer. For now they could just get a stop gap #3 and then focus on getting a couple goalie prospects next summer.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote