View Single Post
Old
06-26-2012, 05:05 PM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Pretty much exactly what i figured he'd go for. Not a sweetheart deal, but pretty much market value right now. This year's UFA crop is just abysmal. You know that's the case when SOB makes an appreciable dent in it.

He's not great, certainly has his *issues*, but he's also not nearly as bad as some make him out to be. A solid #5 d-man, who can play a bit of top-4 in a pinch. Big, stands up for teammates, very serviceable when he plays within his limits. Also seems to be the sort of guy who pairs well with a higher risk puck mover when he's got his head screwed on straight.

Honestly i'm not sure why the Avs were the one to hand him the deal, as they seem to have enough other options and the desire to go after an upgrade. But i expected SOB to have a fairly significant group of suitors if he hit the open market on July 1st.
To answer your last point, O'Brien is by far the meanest defender the Avs have. Johnson, obviously, has that side, but outside of that, no one else is close. O'Byrne and Hejda are big, strong guys, but neither has a great deal of grit. Wilson throws big hits, but, again, he doesn't have the nastiness OB does.

So, yes, Colorado has a hundred spoons and O'Brien is their only knife.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote