View Single Post
Old
06-26-2012, 10:29 PM
nik jr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
But yet never won anything tangible. Didn't represent Canada often because nobody felt that way about him. It is a nice defense but the holes in it are easy to pick through. Earned a whopping one NHL second All-Star team. Oates was a consistent number producer, not scary and imposing. Maybe he needed better talent around him, but his resume because of those intangibles difference is what leaves him significantly behind Shanahan.
yzerman, who was obviously better than oates, was not picked for team canada in '87 or '91 CC, but players like brent sutter (both '87 and '91), teenage eric lindros, and shayne corson were picked (and lemieux missed '91 CC). both of these are the same situation. C is the deepest position, and yzerman and oates had to compete against gretzky, lemieux, messier, lindros, sakic, forsberg, fyodorov, gilmour, lafontaine, modano, sundin, etc, plus each other. team canada has also usually picked a checking C. draper played for team canada several times.

i am not sure why 1 2nd AS is bad. yzerman has a whopping 1 1st AS selection (and i think modano was more deserving). and if lemieux, forsberg and lindros had been healthy, yzerman would have 0 (as would modano). that does not mean yzerman was not a great great player. if lemieux had been healthy in '91, oates would have 0 AS selections. does that change his level of play?

peter stastny has 0 AS selections, and never won anything tangible. does that mean john tonelli (twice 2nd all star LW, important part of 4 consecutive cups, '84 CC MVP, fantastic intangibles, arguably better than HHOF teammate clark gillies) was better?

oates' 2nd AS (which was not his huge 142p season) was won over prime yzerman, plus messier and sakic. both those are better than any season shanahan had.

shanahan played the weakest position, and competed against much weaker players for AS spots. when shanahan was voted 1st LW in '94, adam graves was 2nd LW. in 2000, he beat paul kariya for 1st LW, but i don't think he should have.

which of oates' teams do you think should have won the cup?

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote