View Single Post
Old
06-27-2012, 12:19 AM
BeaverSports

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Yet they swallow money on countless occasions to take risks. Guys are bought out and new guys are signed. Avery was paid to GTFO. etc, etc.
And haven't we been complaining about the money that Avery decision cost the Stars over the past couple years? The goal should be to try to make decisions that don't end up costing money because they were the wrong ones. Yes, it happens, but if they were hesitant to send the qualifying offer, maybe that should be enough pause to consider not sending it.

Could you be right about him being someone they want in the AHL to improve the quality of guys others play with? Perhaps. Do I think there are guys who may be cheaper or better options to do that at this time? Probably.

As for the plane, amenities might not be the right word... but I'm going under the impression the hockey department has X dollars allocated by Gaglardi to spend how Nieuwendyk sees fit to win hockey games. Dallas is the most travelled team in the NHL, by far, and I think if they weren't, they make the playoffs the past two years. If there's a way to reduce time in the air, to make charter flights more comfortable or at better time, whatever, it's worth the investment more than it may be to spend on payroll. Also, teams that spend money on more scouts, more capologists, etc. to help gain advantages in other ways can get more bang for their budget.

You're right that Gaglardi isn't going to nickel and dime things, not by any means, but he isn't going to get to the cap overnight to open the purse strings for bad signings either. As much as I like Wandell's skating and skill, I'm not sure the organization truly believes he isn't the latter right now and if that's the case, there are other ways to spend money on the ice and off it to get results.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote