View Single Post
Old
06-27-2012, 01:21 AM
pepperMonkey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I wouldn't call players such as Alexander Mogilny, Gary Roberts, Darcy Tucker & Owen Nolan scrubs. At some point during their time with the Leafs they also played on a line with Sundin. It's just that people want to remember him playing more with others like Jonas Hogland and Mikael Renberg who weren't as popular with Leafs fans.
Umm...you are right. Guys like Mogilny, Roberts, and Nolan weren't scrubs and were good players...The operative word being 'were'.
Roberts was like a decade past his prime.
Same with Nolan.
Tucker, although being a good player, average about 35 pts throughout his career except for two blips where he hit around 60. Offensive juggernaut? Err...no.
Mogilny was the only one on your list that wasn't a scrub. Played very well...but other than one year where he got 79 pts, his other 2 yrs as a Leaf was injury plagued and he was also close to a decade past his prime.
Surprised no one has mentioned this already so I'm going to mention it here now before someone brings this up. The only other great winger I can think of that played with Sundin was Doug Gilmour. But again, Gilmour while playing with Sundin was in his decline. His best years as a Leaf was before Sundin. And he only played 3 years with Sundin. Though they were marred with injuries etc.
So no. I can't think of a single winger who played at an elite level, in his prime, to have played with Sundin the whole of Sundin's career as a Leaf.
So yes, those names may not be scrubs but from an offensive impact point of view, other than a busted up old Gilmour and Mogilny, everyone else, although may not be scrubs, had an offensive impact pretty much like a scrub.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote