View Single Post
Old
06-27-2012, 01:31 AM
saffronleaf

vCash: 500
Congratulations, Mats! I grew up watching you play and you are my favorite athlete. A wicked backhand, Selke-level two-way play, physicality, puck protection, talent, leader by example, able to handle the pressure of being the captain of the Leafs (the first European captain), unbelievable consistency, able to succeed with often poor linemates, lots of NHL and international accolades and accomplishments, and incredible clutchness.

You're the greatest Leafs player of all-time. You're an inspiration to a generation of Leafs fans and Swedish people. You're an inspiration to me.

Thank you for the memories.

My three favorite Sundin memories:

1. ECF against Carolina in Game 6, game tying goal.
2. ECQF against Ottawa in Game 1, OT game winning goal.
3. 500th career goal (shorthanded hat-trick in OT against Calgary).

Honourable mentions:
- ECQF against Philadelphia in 1999, game winning goal in last couple of minutes.
- Shootout goal against the Leafs while playing for Vancouver (although this was bittersweet).

Sundin was so loyal to the Leafs; management asking him to waive his NTC was disgusting. Did Detroit do that to Yzerman? Colorado to Sakic? Just pathetic. I apologize, the vast majority of Leafs Nation loves you for your loyalty.

I always think of how crazy it would have been if Sundin were young enough to be Kessel's centerman. Just imagine.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote