View Single Post
Old
06-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Tigers1992

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
I wonder if it is because Sudbury is so remote or is it how they promote the draft eligible players.
Two quick things.

1. Sudbury is a five hour drive from the GTA, Russia is a 12 hour flight. Sudbury is not remote when it comes to NHL Draft scouting. I made the trip 3 times this year up to Sudbury, its fairly easy and routine. Scouts are always up in Sudbury, or watching them play in other OHL rinks.

2. Do you honestly think that players need to be promoted to NHL Scouts? Scouts don't care how nice you treat them, their job is to find players that will make the NHL. They need to justify their jobs, so the need to select the prospects that will make the NHL. Sudbury does what Kitchener, London and Windsor do, open the doors at 5pm, lineups and a meal, and an area to watch the game.

Look back at my posts in November regarding Campagna. I mentioned that he showed little growth from his Young National days, and needed to turn it on if he wanted to be drafted. He struggled and was hurt. He just was not good enough, which is why he significantly fell in NHL CS ratings.

Pancel is a perfect example of an OHL player. He's not skilled enough to be a top 6 in the NHL, and isn't big enough to be bottom 6 forward.