Thread: Confirmed with Link: Jets select Lukas Sutter (39th overall)
View Single Post
Old
06-27-2012, 09:16 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I hope so. Even with 1st round picks eventually you have to pick some skill. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the Scheifele and Trouba picks right now, but as Calgary has proven drafting grit and character over the long term (as in ONLY drafting grit and character) is a bad strategy (see CGY between 1998-2008). Thing is though that Scheifele and Trouba are just prospects, in order to get the "right character/attitude" it has to start from the top down, ie the NHL team. You have to start there if you are implementing this philosophy, prospects develop on their own and they will learn from the veterans. Starting by drafting prospects with that mentality is not always going to work, if the NHL team does not have that mentality. Do the Jets? I am not sure, I don't think so right now.

IMO, there are NO "sure bets" to have an NHL future. I have seen waaaay too many Lauri Tukonen/Nathan Smith/Colton Gillies(who will be out of NHL in 1/2 years, IMO) types to ever believe that a player is a sure bet to have an NHL career. Even defensive safe type players need to develop, you look for the overall package, IMO. I think the Jets have done a decent job of that though, I like the longterm goalie projects (ala Jon Quick) they have taken on, but the limited scope of their picks is a might concerning.
Great post Holden

a few weeks ago Chevy was the keynote speaker at the chamber of commerce lunch and he addressed exactly what you are talking about. He touched on so many topics but "the culture of the organization" seemed to be his number 1 priority and let me try to get the recap correct.

Chevy said culture isn't something on a blackboard or a nice clean statement that lives as a document in a book our on a wall. Culture is not something you can force feed to professional athletes. He feels strongly that it is something you have to be very clear on and constantly communicate the vision but it absolutely has to be backed by your own actions and the organizations actions. also you have to clearly communicate to each player and prospect in the organization what their roll and goals are to support the team goals and help build the culture.

I am in an international business club and have heard too many keynote speakers over the years to count. I am also a student of businesses and effective impactful cultures so up to this point Chevy was saying pretty much what I was use to hearing but his next statement is when I new it was about more than words. He said (paraphrase) "total buy into the culture will be a lagging indicator and takes time......you have to live it and act it and manage it and slowly you start to get some buy in.....as the the results improve the players buy in STARTS TO FOLLOW.....then as the results build more you hit the final stage where everyone starts to believe and buy in and the force multiplier creates a championship culture"

That is spoken by a person that clearly lives in the real world!!!! It is a very sober and real take on how it actually happens IMHO......so many business leaders I know believe their own press clippings and their ego gets in the way when they talk about their corporate culture. their idea of their own companies culture is not connected to THE REAL LIVING AND BREATING culture that exists in their company. They either don't aspire to have a championship culture (my way or the highway types) or they have a vision for the culture but lack the talent to make all the little decisions that can bring the culture to life. Honestly anyone can have an idea but few leaders can actually bring it to life.

I always wondered how Chevy put together so many championship teams at different levels until I heard him speak and then I got it. I firmly believe he understands the ingredients it takes in his players (skill and attitude) to build the recipe that creates the culture of a championship team.

Now fast forward to the real world when it comes to how long this will take. Chevy inherited a team with many players he didn't choose. I believe after the first year he has a good idea who fits, who doesn't, and what players fall in the middle and by that I mean if they get with the program they could be great pieces of the puzzle but full buy in might be a lagging indicator.

One example of this might be a case of all your players showing up fit for camp and bringing the best versions of themselves to show their commitment to the team goals. If you have one of your leaders show up out of shape it flys in the face of your team goals and then it's hard to get buy in from everyone because they sense your words don't translate to actions or there are special rules for special players? as an organization you are faced with options, you can let it slide because you need the players talent, you can trade them (not that easy in the new NHL), or you can help them hit their goal by communication, clear expectations, and support to the goal. The first option causes cancer and it's impossible to acheive the culture you strive for when it exists, the second option is good if you can get value back, and the third option is gold. The reason coaching and managing them up is the best option is it provides Exibit A to fellow teammates that you mean what you say and you can impact change. I believe it starts to impact team buy in, your culture gets a pulse, and the virtuous cycle begins to move the cultural needle in the right direction and the virus begins to slowly spread.

Chevy said the culture starts right after the draft as they begin laying out the vision for the kids right off the bat and it's a huge part of their draft and development structure.

This is going to take time but the vision is crystal clear.

Last edited by ps241: 06-27-2012 at 11:06 AM.
ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote