View Single Post
Old
06-27-2012, 10:52 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
Doan is good, solid player.. but he is thirty-five and not what this team needs.
I'd argue he's exactly what this team needs.

If you trust your scouting department and the group you have in Austin developing your prospects, you need to plan for a group of close to NHL ready forwards making the jump soon. Scott Glennie, Matt Fraser, Alex Chiasson and Reilly Smith would headline that group, IMO.

You already have 4 young Top 9 options in Jamie Benn, Loui Eriksson, Cody Eakin, and Tomas Vincour. You can't really afford to fill up the rest of your Top 9 with 4 and 5 year contracts for guys that produce about as well as some of your ELC's could.

If you're adding a special piece like Zach Parise of course you sign them long term. If you're telling me though that my other option is Shane Doan vs. a Hudler or Parenteau? Hell no. I have no desire to watch this team sign a late 20's adequate Top 6 option for 4 to 5 years at a premium.

Shane Doan on the other hand is a short term option that will give you close to the same production and excellent leadership. I'd love to see Dallas only sign 35+ year old players this summer to 1 or 2 year contracts. It's an ideal stopgap for the prospects that you need to give an opportunity to soon. Plus I'd be hoping they'd break down a bit (like Souray this year) so those young guys can get some 5-10 game looks at the NHL roster this year.

It's not just the forwards either though. Jason Garisson scares the hell out of me since he has 1 year of actual production. I hate the idea of signing him. He's going to cash in big time, and he has the biggest bust potential IMO. If they sign him, I'll be pulling for him to succeed, but I'd almost feel safer with a guy like Hudler or Semin or Parenteau. I think Garisson probably better fits what Dallas needs, I just think he's a much bigger gamble than the other guys. Late bloomers cashing in like Ville Leino/Jeff Finger scare me.