Thread: Confirmed with Link: JVR traded to Toronto for Luke Schenn
View Single Post
Old
06-27-2012, 12:10 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
While JvR and L Schenn (as I posted previously) are interesting in their similarity of much-hyped prospects who have so far failed to hit their full potential, there are two important differences in how they have arrived at their current status:
  • JvR benefitted from the Flyers' roster depth and patience in not being rushed to the NHL. Schenn was cast as a phenom and thrust into that role too early, where he has largely and predictably fallen from grace. I would argue that Schenn has to unlearn some of his habits to thrive, while JvR needs to become more consistent in what he does well.
  • JvR's struggles are predominantly because of injuries. Schenn has, apart from a lower-body injury in 2008-09, been healthy and has missed games due to being a healthy scratch.

To say that the players are equivalent in their not reaching full potential, therefore, isn't showing the whole picture. On these two point, I believe that the odds are much more in JvR's favour that he comes closer to reaching his potential than Schenn.

That, however, is also a factor of environment. I don't know if I can objectively assess Toronto's forward development; my bias is that they aren't so hot with their young'uns, but I'm sure that's tainted by my dislike of the team.

Schenn could do well with a heavy dose of playing with Timonen on a second (or even third) pairing, and letting Timonen do the vast majority of the puck handling. Plus, I know I'm not alone in hoping for a stronger emphasis on team defense, and forward responsibility in own-zone coverage.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote