View Single Post
Old
06-27-2012, 12:21 PM
p9ers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
1. The bar should be the same for every team, unless you think the pathetic Panthers should have a lower criteria for what constitutes a great player than Toronto or Chicago.

2. It is not a given that someone from a very forgettable two decade stretch should have their number retired.

The '96 team should be honored with a banner for their improbable run... and that's about it.

I won't even touch the fact that Vanbiesbrouck's foot-in-mouth incident makes him a PR problem.
1. So the bar should be the same has the Habs let's say. So we should wait for our centennial year to retire jersey of HoFamers who won 4 Stanley Cup and his member of the Order of Canada. Oh, we should also wait more than 50 years to ponder if he really deserves it.

2. I agree with that.

Patrick Roy asked for a trade from the Habs, talk about a PR disaster, much worst than the Beezer. The Habs still retired his number. (He's a lot better than Beezer, but not the point)

There should be something about being a fan favourite and helping immensly the franchise. Without the improbable run on the back of Vanbiesbrouck and the stellar play of Bure, one could argue that this team would have had the same fate as the Thrashers, and that's worth more than a Stanley Cup in my book.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote