View Single Post
Old
06-27-2012, 02:03 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
You know what's really sad? Even after going over Bure's career with a fine-toothed comb in the other thread, I spent 30 confused seconds trying to remember something meaningful that Sundin did in Vancouver

I buy the rest of what you said. We get caught up in the "who has a better profile" game when it comes to HOF inductions, and it's harder to avoid with every borderline induction. I'd much rather have a true Hall of Fame, which celebrates the culture of the game rather than stats and awards.

The list of 4-year goal leaders in the Stamkos thread also got me thinking about how empty the Dead Puck Era seems in retrospect. Nothing against guys like Naslund and Tkachuk, but it just doesn't seem like they were ever really the kind of superstars that would be at the top of an era. I suspect that in a few years we'll run into a relatively dead phase of HOF inductions after we exhaust the obvious candidates from that 1998-2004 range -- maybe that would be a good time to think about Fleury.
seems reasonable to me. i wouldn't induct fleury over, say, gilmour, mark howe, belfour, bure, sakic obviously, shanahan, sundin, or oates, and he'd be behind lindros, makarov, chelios obviously, niedermayer, shanahan, modano, recchi, lidstrom obviously, and maybe a few others in the next bunch of years. but definitely there's no question in my mind you go with fleury before you even bring up the names naslund, roenick, tkachuk, leclair, turgeon, etc.

i'd like to see a lull year somewhere five to ten years down the road where we are debating fleury with elias and other borderline guys.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote