Thread: Confirmed with Link: Jets select Lukas Sutter (39th overall)
View Single Post
Old
06-27-2012, 02:48 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I was just looking at his weight myself, what a huge bonus to have that structure and build. You're correct in many of the other young Sutters are quite slim.

Some more comparables between a young Mike Richards and Lukas Sutter are they are/were both looked at as not the greatest skaters and both were a pretty open book in terms of how good they could be offensively. I remember the days when many figured Mike Richards would be a great 3rd line center but it was unclear if he would be offensively good enough to be a legitimate offensive top 6 forward.

Mike Richards is a very hefty comparison, but it will be exciting to see how Lukas Sutter develops in the next couple to few years.

Another kid that really excited me and who took a huge step forward offensively this past season before getting injured is Adam Lowry. Huge frame standing somewhere around 6'5".

I really like what we have here in Lukas Sutter and Adam Lowry. If these kids hit their potential ceilings, look out. In 2 drafts we've really added some nice looking prospects in Scheifele, Trouba, Sutter and Lowry.
Just looking at Lukas vs Brandon Sutter it seems we got the thicker meaner kid. In Juniors Brandon peaked at 54 penalty minutes whereas Lukas has had 179 PIM and 165 PIM in his first two seasons. Interesting in their draft years they did have comparable scoring stats. Brandon's path to the NHL was one more year of juniors, then 22 games in the AHL and 50 with Carolina in his sophomore year after his draft.

Good point on Lowry I loved him as a third round pick last year and he was having a good year in Swift current until he lost the season due to injury. he seems to fit the high character, big body, father was a pro, captain of his team, late bloomer mold. He has some skills as well and was averaging a PPG this year until he was hurt.

Edit: it appears Mile Richards might have had more elite level scoring stays in his draft year 87 points in 67 games but we can dream big for sure.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote