Thread: OT: Futbol II
View Single Post
Old
06-27-2012, 07:43 PM
sycamore

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Unlike other sports, you can't have players keep running 100 yards back n forth forever.

As a person that grew up watching soccer almost exclusively, I have no problem admitting that a sport like basketball is objectively a much better "spectacle" when you're talking about an average game between good teams.

What makes soccer exceptional is the uniqueness of various teams that reflects national character, unmatched international rivalries (on the order of Canada-Russia in hockey), unequaled drama of once-in-4-years tourneys, individual skill.. so a good match between top teams dwarfs any other sports event. But you have to wait for it, and it's admittedly an acquired taste. In some ways like baseball for Europeans.. knowledge of history is a huge part of the enjoyment.
Artilector, I totally agree with your points about soccer, and quite frankly the World Cup is my favorite sporting spectacle of all, even ahead of hockey. But there is no question you see this disturbing trend in the international tournaments where the games start out exciting, then get progressively worse as the tournament wears on. One thing is the whole pk thing, it would be so much more fun if the games could be decided by the golden goal. I'm not sure what other changes can be made, but seeing a semifinal like today or a final like the World Cup in 2006 (between Italy and France) is just terrible for the game and turns a lot of potential fans off to the sport. Something needs to be done.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote