Thread: OT: Futbol II
View Single Post
Old
06-27-2012, 06:53 PM
artilector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Artilector, I totally agree with your points about soccer, and quite frankly the World Cup is my favorite sporting spectacle of all, even ahead of hockey. But there is no question you see this disturbing trend in the international tournaments where the games start out exciting, then get progressively worse as the tournament wears on. One thing is the whole pk thing, it would be so much more fun if the games could be decided by the golden goal. I'm not sure what other changes can be made, but seeing a semifinal like today or a final like the World Cup in 2006 (between Italy and France) is just terrible for the game and turns a lot of potential fans off to the sport. Something needs to be done.
I don't think anything can be done.. same as hockey, I find playoff hockey mostly boring (when it doesn't involve teams that I specifically care for) -- modern players close space down FAST, and with better flow of information modern tactics teach them exactly how to do that. So every year, it seems like there's less space for creative players and their skill.

And I don't think you can do anything about that unless you start tinkering with the basic parameters of the game -- number of players, field size, goal size. I'd be fine with experimenting with those things, but the reality is -- it's unthinkable for most people. So I guess one just has to develop more appreciation for the rare teams that do play attractive style, like Barca in soccer, or like the Caps used to be, lol.

edit: another point to make is that national teams are now obviously inferior to the best club teams (which are basically all-star teams of world talent now). And the explanation is simple -- club teams actually have time to develop links between players, which are especially crucial for constructive play/offense. So Barcelona's offense is a lot more polished than Team Spain, etc. On the other hand it's not as hard to get 11 guys to defend well. So if you want great soccer, watch Champions League -- the big international events bring more of the drama, flavor and history of soccer, IMO.

Last edited by artilector: 06-27-2012 at 07:01 PM.
artilector is offline   Reply With Quote