View Single Post
Old
06-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
You know what's really sad? Even after going over Bure's career with a fine-toothed comb in the other thread, I spent 30 confused seconds trying to remember something meaningful that Sundin did in Vancouver

I buy the rest of what you said. We get caught up in the "who has a better profile" game when it comes to HOF inductions, and it's harder to avoid with every borderline induction. I'd much rather have a true Hall of Fame, which celebrates the culture of the game rather than stats and awards.

The list of 4-year goal leaders in the Stamkos thread also got me thinking about how empty the Dead Puck Era seems in retrospect. Nothing against guys like Naslund and Tkachuk, but it just doesn't seem like they were ever really the kind of superstars that would be at the top of an era. I suspect that in a few years we'll run into a relatively dead phase of HOF inductions after we exhaust the obvious candidates from that 1998-2004 range -- maybe that would be a good time to think about Fleury.
Turth be told the layoff really hurt Sundin, who probably was hoping to sign with an East coast team but the Cap prevented .

It was a sad end to a great career.

Good points on Fluery and the culture of hockey and why he might make it in.

Fluery was a very exciting and inspirational player and was looked on as a bad apple late in his career.

We all know now why that was and it might influence and be the tipping point to his making the Hall.

He has a pretty interesting case and if the HHOF was like baseball and the voting was transparent it would be interesting to see how he would do.

Sadly the NHL process is secretive and all we can do is speculate.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote