View Single Post
Old
06-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Yeah I guess I shouldn't have butted in, but I just found that little part amusing. I agree with your original premise that although you may not have agreed with the pick, building the best prospect blueline corps in the league is extremely valuable. This organization seems to have the right resources to scout and develop the right ones. They in turn become very valuable commodities.

At the same time, Tender Rip makes a good point that there aren't many examples of D prospects without NHL experience garnering a lot in a trade. The Rundbland example is interesting, but it was really a gamble given that Tarasenko was a 16th overall pick. Even though he is turning out to be one of the best forward prospects in the game (if not the best), it's not like his value was that high at the time. It was certainly a risk.

The part of this that I like is that these guys will be pushing out other D in the next few years. We traded Michalek, in part for cap space, but also because we have Despres, Strait, and Bort knocking on the door. Morrow or Pouliot may end up making Letang expendable. That's all very exciting to me.

At the end of the day, I'm pleased with the picks. I'd still have gone for Forseberg or Grigs at 8th overall but I can't question with real authority or knowledge on the matter.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote