View Single Post
Old
06-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
DD proved to be a hell of a competitor anywhere he's been sent. He shined playing with Gomez and Gionta against the Bruins 2 years ago. He shined as a top center. He never quits, he's a competitor.

I don't see why people obsesses over his size. He's got more heart and mental in him than half of the Capitals' put together.

And he's homegrown, playing in his homeland. You don't trade these kind of players away. He hasn't been a defensive liability, and know how to compensate for his small size, even taking advantage of it more often than not.

He may be tossed around in board battle, but he comes back and has the stick agility to get out with the puck anyway. Remember how he beat Chara in a 20-seconds puck battle behind Thomas, during a PK, 2 years ago?!
I like DD, I really do. I still don't know what his ceiling is, it's tough to put a grasp on it as he always seemed to exceed expectations.

That being said, he hasn't proven much. He benefited from having the best wingers last year and they never were split after tried. Not only that, but they also benefited from being placed in favorable match ups and offensive faceoffs. How well will he fare off if he isn't paired with our two best PFs and getting favorable match ups?
That is still very unknown.

Nobody has come close to filling up Plekanec's shoes. Eller has improved rather well in the defensive tasks but still has some troubles versus top line opposition.

It'll be interesting to see how each of our youngsters develop. But I don't want to see DD used the same way again, especially if it means Plek and Eller both center rather unproductive lines.
I mean, Eller was used the opposite way DD was last season. Eller was used in defensive roles, was given scrappers, and was used on PK. DD was used in an offensive role, given the best wingers, used on the PP. I would have liked Eller to get his chance. He earned it by showing great offensive things with Moen and AK. I think he has more upside than DD as well, but as I previously mentioned, it's tough to know the ceiling of DD.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote