View Single Post
Old
06-28-2012, 11:41 AM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Every comment made in the matter suggests that Calle's extra years in the SEL is instead of the AHL, not a prelude. Partly cus of his great club role in Sweden, partly cus it gives other prospects more ice time with the Griffins. He will be 22 then, so it will be similar to Helm, Abdelkader, Nyquist and Smith making the jump. I don't think they will hesitate to send him down, but I think they will give him every chance to crack the 2013/14 team right away if this season goes as planned.
Jarnkrok probably will take Bert's roster spot in 14-15. Tatar will likely be on the roster in 13-14 for Emmerton, Miller, or Mursak (or possibly Cleary if he's traded) or 14-15 at the latest.

As for what I'm looking at to happen this offseason? It was pretty clear that the Wings needed one more scoring forward. And they need a top defenseman to take Lidstrom's spot. Which means they need someone at least as good as Hudler, PLUS another scoring forward. Given that Hudler is one of the five or six best offensive forwards available, and there aren't many high-end UFA defensemen, we're looking at either a trade situation or hoping for some good luck. Here's what I'm hoping for:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.250m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($8.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.250m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,167,045; BONUSES: $37,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $32,955

Notice that there's an extra forward. I expect either Eaves is placed on LTIR or one of Eaves/Emmerton is traded before the season starts. Possibly an Eaves/Emmerton/Mursak/Miller+Quincey deal (or somesuch) to score a top-four defenseman with a cap hit in the $3.5m-$4.5m range. knocking off one of the bottom six forwards (salary-wise), the Wings would still have anywhere from $600k to $1.3m in free cap space.

If they get Semin at around $6m instead of Parise at $7.5m, that pushes it to $2.1m-$2.8m... which means trading Quincey, Tatar/Nyquist/Sheahan/Pulkkinen and a first could bring in a top-three defenseman. Replace the prospect with Mursak, Emmerton, or even Eaves and you can probably still get a decent second pair defensive guy. Which is really the move that needs to be made; the Wings only have two guys who are really "defensive" defensemen, plus Kronwall who can play pretty well in his own end, and White who's a decent shot blocker.

The Wings probably won't be able to match this forward lineup in UFA if they don't sign Hudler; he'll cost them less than any equivalent forward. Holland needs to sign him before July 1st; otherwise the Wings have a much bigger issue up front. Parise is very good, but Parise/Nyquist doesn't replace Hudler/Holmstrom.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote