View Single Post
Old
06-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Der Jaeger

vCash: 500
Admittedly, the folks on this board have taught me a lot about advanced stats. It's new to me as of about two months ago.

With that said, I agree with all of Coller's analysis except for the puck possession.

Corsi is the one stat that I perceive to be misleading, somewhat. It does measure shots for and against while a player is on the ice. That's not a direct translation of puck possession, nor does it measure scoring chances.

When I watch Detroit play, I notice that many of Detroit's scoring chances are very good, due to the skill of their players. There defense is positioned well, mostly, so they may give up shots, but those shots might not be high quality.

In the same way, Ennis' skill and speed put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses, and created a lot of high quality scoring chances. And how many times did we see Ennis wheeling in the offensive zone with opposition unable to get the puck away from him?

I think the corsi = puck possession isn't totally valid, though it's about as close as we can get. And with this point in mind, I don't think that the opposition was able to possess the puck over Buffalo in the way Coller writes about it.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote